Central Visayas is composed of four island provinces, namely, Bohol, Cebu, Negros Oriental, and Siquijor.
A major tourist attraction in the country, the region is host to special economic zones (SEZs) for IT enterprises and FDI manufacturing, including one of only three shipbuilding areas in the Philippines exporting bulk carriers. It has a unique economic structure compared to other regional economies, except NCR. The industry and service sectors, particularly trade and manufacturing subsectors dominate the region’s economy, not agriculture. DTI-Central Visayas is charged with the promotion of an economic and business environment conducive to the birth and growth of enterprises and supportive of a fair and robust trade of goods and services both from within the Central Visayas.
It is a coordinating agency for all government activities that relate to trade, industry, and investments as well as a regulatory body to ensure that fair competition prevails.
The Consumer Protection Division (CPD) implements the Department's consumer welfare programs. It educates consumers and implements programs and projects that will create a healthy business environment. Its specific concerns include:
- Consumer advocacy
- Acceptance, pre-screening, and evaluation of license applications to the Philippine Contractors Accreditation Board (PCAB)
- Strengthening consumer organizations/networks
- Enforcement and insurance of compliance of all fair trade laws and laws on standards
- Monitoring of price and supply of commodities
- Issuance of regional sales promo permits
- Meanwhile, the SME Development Division (SDD) is tasked to handle the following concerns:
- Assists MSMEs in availing of credit financing
- Facilitates livelihood and income generating projects
- Conducts entrepreneurial trainings, seminars and workshops
- Provides trade fair assistance
- Assists exporters
- Conducts quality and productivity programs
- Provides trade fair assistance and information
- Assists MSMEs in product development
- Implements the Mentor ME Program in the region
- Implements the Adopt-a-Shared Service Facility project in the region
- Implements the inclusive business project through the inclusion of low income communities in the value chain
- Monitors activities of Negosyo Centers in the region
The Industry Development Division (IDD) is tasked to implement programs and projects to develop the various industry sectors. This unit has the following concerns: ● Assists existing and potential investors Provides information on investments procedures, incentives , assistance and promotions Facilitates the implementation of the Business Permit and Licensing System (BPLS) in the region Assists the National Competitiveness Council in the implementation of the National Competitiveness Survey ● Updates industry sector profiles
- Manages knowledge products of the department such as information on Free Trade Agreements, economic updates and Investment priorities plan
- Coordinates with DTI Cebu in relation to activities of the Fabrication Laboratory and Negosyo Centers in Cebu City.
- Coordinates with the Bureau of International Trade Relations (BITR), Competitiveness Bureau and other bureaus under the Industry Development Group in the conduct of investment and industry related seminars and workshops.in the region
- Facilitates and coordinates investment and trade missions