DTI’s Gender and Development Program follows closely the Magna Carta of Women (Republic Act 9710) passed in 2009, which provides specific interventions by DTI on women’s economic empowerment.
DTI programs that focus on women’s participation and benefits in livelihood and entrepreneurial activities are: (i) mainstreaming GAD in development plans, (ii) sustaining women in business, (iii) capacitating women in entrepreneurship, and (iv) greater and better access to business finance.
ACCOMPLISHMENTS IN 2017
- Participated, as a member of the Philippine Delegation, in the 61st UN Conference on the Status of Women (UNCSW), and prepared concept notes on the side event— initially to present Gender Responsive Value Chain Analysis (GGRVCA) tool but was reconceptualized to feature IP for IPs: T’boli Dream weavers of Southern Mindanao. This was presented at Malacanang and ACPC prior to the UNCSW. Also prepared the DTI inputs to the Philippine Delegation Report to Round Table Discussion on Decent Work.
- Submitted hard copies of the 2018 GAD Plan and Budget and the 2016 GAD Accomplishment Report to DTI- (Financial Management Service) FMS. In preparation of this, drafted GAD Framework for Women as Consumers and consolidated 2016 GAD Accomplishment Report from DTI bureaus, service offices, regional offices and attached agencies.
- For the celebration of the National Women’s Month (NWM):
- Prepared graphics for Tarpaulin Lobby Display at DTI Main. Also emailed soft copy to all regional offices and Metro Manila buildings of DTI and attached agencies
- Conducted a program for the DTI kick-off of NWM celebration during flag ceremony 6 March 2017
- Posted information collaterals at DTI main building lobby for women’s month
- Printed and distributed advocacy shirts for NWM to all head office bureaus and service offices
- Coordinated NWM activities with Board of Investments (BOI), National Development Company (NDC), Philippine Trade Training Center (PTTC), all regional offices, and Fair-Trade Enforcement Bureau (FTEB).
- Conducted a PCW Executive Briefing on GAD including Planning and Budgeting for Assistant Secretary Vizmonte, as part of efforts to address the Audit Observation Memorandum on DTI’s GAD related accomplishment report on FY 2016. The briefing clarified international commitments, laws, and issuances concerning the implementation of GAD in agency PAPs. The briefing resulted in instructions from Asec. Vismonte to RGMS, as DTI GAD Secretariat, to tightly and efficiently implement GAD related program and assist bureaus and regional offices in identifying and implementing GAD-related program in accordance to RA 9710 Magna Carta of Women (MCW) and its related issuances. Further, the activity resulted in recommendation to focus on identifying DTI initiatives related to the MCW implementing rules and regulations on women economic empowerment; and the use of Harmonized Gender and Development Guidelines (HGDG) to identify DTI major programs or projects that will be attributed as GAD-related and address the Audit Observation Memorandum (AOM) on DTI not being able to fulfill its 5% GAD commitment for 2016.
- Revised the activity design, budget, and list of participants of the GAD Assembly Proposal which was submitted as response to the instruction by Assistant Secretary Vizmonte to identify major DTI programs and projects to undergo HGDG and attributed as GAD related.
- Participated in the PCW consultation meeting on the revision of Joint Department of Budget and Management- Philippine Commission on Women (DBM-PCW) Memorandum Order on GAD Planning and Budgeting per RA 9710 or the Magna Carta of Women. Resource Generation and Management Service Bureau communicated its comments on the process of reporting and posting as not synchronized with the National Budget Call, very tedious, and Gender Mainstreaming Monitoring System (GMMS) as not user-friendly.
- Conducted HGDG session with DTI Region X. The HGDG session focused on the region’s enterprise development program, chiefly on Mentor Me and Negosyo Centers, as major initiatives that can be reclassified in the 2018 GAD Plan and Budget as DTI’s major initiative in gender and development.
- Conducted briefing for the Cambodian Public Officials Delegation on Gender and Development study tour.
- Presented DTI GAD Framework plan to UP Women Study Center roundtable discussion on the Magna Carta of Women and on Rural Women.
- Reviewed and prepared DTI GAD Plan, Sex Disaggregated Data on DTI Services, and other related documents in preparation for the validation workshop on Gender Equality and Women Empowerment.
- Participated in the PCW workshop on Gender Equality and Women Empowerment (GEWE) Indicators validation
- Participated in the convening of reorganized Interagency Committee on Gender and Children’s Statistics at the Philippine Statistics Authority (PSA) office.
ACCOMPLISHMENTS IN 2016:
- Prepared and submitted GAD-related reports, as follows:
- 2015 DTI GAD Accomplishment Report to COA and Philippine Commission on Women (PCW).
- 2015 DTI Yearend Sex Disaggregated to PSA – Interagency Committee on Gender Statistics.
- 2017 DTI GAD Plan and Budget to PCW through the Gender Mainstreaming Monitoring System (GMMS).
- DTI inputs to the Philippine Report to the UN Committee Meeting on CEDAW
- DTI inputs to the Inter Agency Committee on Gender Statistics during its quarterly meeting at the Philippine Statistics Authority
- DTI Gender Mainstreaming and Evaluation Framework (GMEF) Report to the PCW.
- Organized the following GAD-related activities:
- DTI’s National Women’s Month Celebration on 14 March 2016. One of the highlights of the celebration is the mounting of a photo contest/exhibit with the theme “Juana Itaguyod Mo ang Pagiging Mapanuring Mamimili at Tagalikha ng Kalidad na Produkto”. The contest received 46 submissions from DTI employees in the Head Office and all regional and provincial offices. Ten (10) winners were selected and given various prizes.
- DTI GAD Focal Persons Assembly which was participated by 46 participants representing 11 regions, 6 attached agencies and 9 HO bureaus and service offices. Assembly output includes among others, revised GAD Plan based on inputs from PCW and DTI reviewers.
- One-on-one consultancy on GMEF and GAD Plan and Budget preparation for the following units: PEZA, IPO, PITC, BDTP, CPAB, HRAS and KMIS.
- Gender Mainstreaming and Evaluation Framework for the following units: DTI Regions 1, 8, and 9, CEZA, IPO, PITC, NDC, FTEB, CIAP, PAB, BIS, DTI
- Gender and Development Orientation for DTI-CARAGA.
- Prepared and submitted Position Paper on SB 2982 and HB 6399 on Extended Maternal Leave and comments and recommendations on Enrolled Bill House Bill No. 5572 and Senate Bill No. 3209 on the “Anti-Mail Order Spouse Act.”
- Prepared report to COA on corrective actions undertaken based on the 2015 Audit Observation Memorandum