A proposed project to the International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD), RAPID Growth, which will be implemented in 2017-2022, is a PhP 2.3-billion project that aims to propel agriculture-based processing enterprises and entrepreneurial communities to become innovative, productive, and competitive so that they will be capacitated in meeting the challenges of the global market.
Specifically, this project aims to provide focused, firm-level, value chain-based, and climate-smart assistance and financing program to micro and small businesses, through enabling sectoral and trade policies which are designed to provide enhanced access to institutional, regional, and world markets.
ACCOMPLISHMENTS IN 2016:
- Finalized Technical Expert’s Terms of Reference (TOR) for the drafting of preparatory value chain studies for the IFAD Design Mission
- Facilitated conduct of IFAD Design Mission:
- Collation of available value chain studies
- Preparation and distribution of the Guide Questionnaire on priority value chain/industry cluster
- Conduct of Focused Group Discussion for selected clusters
- Preparation and presentation of preliminary results to IFAD
- Preliminary meeting with IFAD Philippine Country Manager Mr. Omar Zafar on the components of the Design Mission
- Meeting with visiting IFAD Philippine Country Manager Mr. Omar Zafar to discuss inclusion in the financing aspect of the project proposal: Equity financing and Remittance financing
- Facilitated inclusion of RAPID Growth to DTI Process Improvement Projects (PIPs)
- Coordinated the conduct of the following meeting/activities:
- Study visit by South-South Exposure Visit from the Government of Republic of South Africa to IFAD supported project in the Philippines
- Meeting of IFAD Southern Africa Study Mission at SB Corporation
- Preparatory meeting for the RAPID Growth Project Design Mission
- Provided technical support to the Pre Design Mission:
- Finalized Terms of Reference of the mission
- Organized Industry Cluster Workshops for the seven (7) priority cluster coordinators and assisting coordinators.
- Coordinated the preparation for site visits in the following regions:
- Region VI – wearables and homestyles
- Region VII – Processed fruit, cacao, and furniture and furnishings
- Region XI – Cacao, coco coir
- Region XII – Rubber and processed fruits
- Region X – coco coir, coffee and processed fruits and nuts
- Organized a Field Visit in Davao City from 05-09 September 2016
- Organized Pre-Design Mission meetings among the NGAs, private sectors, financing institutions and other organizations, as follows:
- Meeting with NEDA, DOF, Landbank: September 13, 2016
- Meeting with DA and with Agencies with related projects/programs (DAR – ConVERGE, DOST – Set UP, DSWD – SLP): September 14, 2016
- Meeting on Standards and Food Safety (DTI-BPS, DTI-PAB, DTI-CPAB, SGS, FDA): September 14, 2016
- Meeting with Private Sectors (Philippine Chamber of Handicrafts Inc., Phil Bamboo Foundation, Chamber of Furniture Industry of the Philippines, Philippine Coffee Alliance, Nestle Corporate Affairs, PhilFoodex, CEFE Network): September 14, 2016
- Meeting with Communications Companies (Smart and PLDT): September 15, 2016
- Meeting with DBP and SBCorp: September 15, 2016
- Conducted wrap up meeting with key partner and oversight agencies, DOF, NEDA, DAR, DOST, DA and PCA.
- Provided inputs to the draft version of the Aide Memoire on the IFAD-DTI Pre Design Mission, preparatory to the presentation to DTI executives and partner and oversight agencies.
- Provided technical support to the conduct of Feasibility Study for the RAPID Growth Project:
- Drafted Memorandum of Agreement with PIDS and Terms of Reference for the Feasibility Study, preparatory to negotiations for government-to-government procurement of conduct of FS for the RAPID project.
- Prepared Terms of Reference (ToR) for the consultants for the 7 detailed investment plans and for the study team leader and Contract of Service for legal review and advice. Relatedly, also requested BAC’s approval to use the alternative mode of payment for the procurement of such services.
- Facilitated Pre Design Meeting on Financing Component between IFAD experts, Mr. Tafiq Al Zabri and Mr Alain Soulard with the following institutions: Philippine National Bank, Development Bank of the Philippines, Small Business Corporation, Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas, CARD-Pioneer Joint Venture, Securities and Exchange Commission, ACCESS and Jollibee Foundation
- Coordination with the 7 consultants on the requirements of the project. The anchor firms identified by the 7 consultants were validated as indicated in the table below:
|CLUSTER||ANCHOR FIRMS SELECTED||APPROVED BY|
|Wearables and Homestyles||HoliCOW Store Gallery, Cebu City||RD Aster Caberte|
|Rubber||Marasigan Rubber Sheet Processing Plant, Kidapawan City||RD Sitti Jain|
|Bamboo||Cardona Multi Purpose Cooperative, Cardona, Rizal||RD Judith Angeles|
|Coffee||Hineleban Foundation, Manolo Fortich, Bukidnon||PD Juliet Lucas (representing RD Myrna)|
|Processed Fruits and Nuts||Limonero Enterprise, Cagayan de Oro City||RD Linda Boniao|
|Cacao||Chokolate de San Isidro, Davao del Norte||ARD Edwin Banquerigo|
|Coconut Oil/ Coir||AG Pacific Nutraceutical Corporation, Padada, Davao del Sur||ARD Marcelina Alcantara (as recommended by RD Belenda Ambi)|
- Conducted data gathering on the following clusters in areas as specified:
- Engineered Bamboo in Cardona, Rizal
- Virgin Coconut Oil in Davao del Sur
- Hineleban Coffee (Arabica) in Manolo Fortich, Bukidnon
- Processed Cacao in Davao del Norte
- Wearables and Homestyles in Negros Occ and Cebu
- Rubber in North Cotabato
- Processed Fruits and Nuts in Misamis Oriental
- Conduct of initial presentation of FS results among cluster coordinators, IFAD representative, BSMED, and SBCorp. The presentation elicited comments from cluster coordinators for revision and refinement of the studies/reports in preparation for the Design Mission
- Provided technical support to the conduct of Design Mission:
- Conduct of preparatory discussions with IFAD Manila office on the terms of reference and itinerary of the Design Mission
- Conduct of kick off meeting and presentation of FS outputs to members of the Project Design Mission
- Coordinated preparatory activities for the conduct of field visits to Regions X, XI, and XII by the Project Design Mission
- Coordinated and participated in the conduct of Design Mission field visits to the following regions: Region XII/North Cotabato, Region XI, and Region X.
- Coordinated and participated in focused discussions with stakeholders and prospective partner agencies:
- Government and oversight agencies: BSP, NEDA, Cabinet Secretariat, DOF, DA, DAR, DOST, PCA, CDA, DSWD, SBCorp
- Micro financial institutions
- Non-government organizations
- Business chambers and key corporations
- Assisted the presentation of design mission initial results on 16 December 2016 at Holiday Inn Ortigas, Pasig City. Participants in the activity include BSP, NEDA, Cabinet Secretariat, DOF, DA, DAR, DOST, PCA, CDA, DSWD, SBCorp, key DTI bureaus, and attached agencies. Comments by participants were incorporated in the revised Design Mission Aide Memoire.
- Facilitated the drafting of feasibility studies by experts in the following sectors: coffee, cacao, engineered bamboo, processed fruits and nuts: calamansi, coconut: virgin coconut oil, rubber, and wearables and homestyles