With the support of Australia’s Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT), this project aims to help the Philippines achieve sustained and inclusive economic growth by connecting the Philippines with the global economy, improving competitiveness through domestic regulatory reforms, better jobs and increasing inclusiveness, responding to emerging economic issues, and strengthening economic institutions.
ACCOMPLISHMENTS IN 2017
- Facilitated the submission of concept notes of the DTI Academy and the Trade Policy Institute to the Australian Embassy for possible funding under the Philippines-Australia Human Resource and Organizational Development Facility (PAHRODF). As a preparatory activity, the Resource Generation and Management Services (RGMS) organized a meeting between the Australian Embassy and DTI Assistant Secretary Ireneo Vizmonte, DTI-Bureau of International Trade Relations Director Anne Cabocha, regarding the two proposals.
- Submitted a letter to Australian Embassy indicating in-principle support of DTI to the implementation of the Trade and Inclusive Economic Growth Facility. The letter was a requirement for the release of Request for Tender (RFT) for a managing contractor to implement the Facility.
- Organized a meeting between the Australian Embassy and DTI representatives Assistant Secretary Ireneo Vizmonte and Human Resources and Administrative Service (HRAS) to the scholarship and alumni program offerings of the Australian Government.
- Endorsed the project concept paper of the Trade and Inclusive Economic Growth Facility for the NEDA-Investment Coordinating Committee (ICC)’s review and approval. The project was also reviewed by the concerned NEDA offices i.e. Trade, Services, and Industries Staff (TSIS), Governance Staff, and the Social Development Staff.
- Attended the Industry Briefing organized by the Australian Embassy for the Trade and Inclusive Economic Growth Facility and their other project entitled Australia Awards and Alumni Engagement Program.
- Conducted initial meeting with the Philippine Competition Commission about their proposed activities on improving market competition as outlined in Engagement Area 2 of the Trade and Inclusive Economic Growth Facility.
- Conducted the Inter-agency Consultation with the National Economic and Development Authority (NEDA), the Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD), the Philippine Competition Commission (PCC), and the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) on 31 July 2017 wherein the revised framework of the Trade and Inclusive Economic Growth Facility was tackled. The partner agencies submitted their inputs to the project and the next steps with regards to the appraisal of the NEDA Investment Coordinating Committee (ICC) were discussed as well.
ACCOMPLISHMENTS AS OF 2016:
- Conducted a meeting with Australian Embassy on 27 October 2016 regarding the final version of the project proposal for the Trade and Inclusive Economic Growth Facility. DTI also presented its framework for utilizing the Facility’s areas of engagement in promoting inclusiveness through decent employment and entrepreneurship. The list of project ideas which were formulated based on consultation with concerned DTI bureaus and offices was also presented.