In support of the government’s thrust to achieve inclusive growth, DTI formulated the Department’s PWD Economic Empowerment Program to help facilitate integration of PWDs into the mainstream of society. The program provides the following interventions: (i) enterprise level assistance, (ii) enabling environment, and (iii) policy advocacy.
- Prepared and disseminated to DTI PWD Focal Persons, for comments and additional inputs, the draft DTI Manual on Disability Inclusive Governance.
- Represented DTI in the following meetings, seminars, and workshops:
- National Council on Disability Affairs (NCDA) Governing Board Meeting
- National Workshop on the Development of Policy Guideline on Disability Inclusive Business
- Meeting of the NCDA Sub-Committee on Information Communication Technology (ICT).
- Submitted to Commission on Audit (CoA) the DTI 2018 PWD Accomplishment Report and the 2019 Plans.
- Conducted meeting with DTI-Consumer Protection and Advocacy Bureau (CPAB) and DTI- Fair Trade and Enforcement Bureau (FTEB) regarding the possible extension of Bagwis Awards to most PWD-friendly establishments and other areas of collaboration.
- Assisted the Board of Investments (BOI) in coordinating with the Department of Health (DOH) and NCDA for their proposed sensitivity orientation seminar.
- Represented the DTI in the meetings of the National Working Committee on Women with Disabilities Day Celebration.
- In preparation of the DTI Manual on Inclusive Governance (ManDIG);
- Coordinated with DTI PWD Focal Persons on their submission of comments and inputs to the draft Manual
- Incorporated comments and inputs from head office and regional offices, the latest DTI organizational structure and DTI PWD accomplishments
- Prepared write up on DTI Accomplishments which will be part of the annexes of the Manual.
- Represented DTI in the following inter-agency meetings:
- 1st National Working Committee (NWC) meeting in preparation for the celebration of the National Disability Prevention and Rehabilitation (NDPR) Week in the 3rd week of July
- National Anti-Poverty Commission (NAPC) -PWD Sectoral Council 1st Quarterly Meeting focusing on the accomplishments of National Government Agencies relative to Executive Order 417 or Economic Independence Program for Persons with Disabilities. Reported on DTI accomplishments for the past 4 years including consumer advocacy services and activities
- 1st Quarterly Meeting of the NCDA Sub-Committee on Training, Employment and Livelihood (SCOTEL).
- Accomplished the survey questionnaire of the Beijing Declaration and Platform for Action (BPfA) +25 Philippine Progress Report specifically on the portion pertaining to women and girls with disabilities.
- Represented DTI in various inter-agency meetings:
- 2nd meeting of the National Working Committee for the 41st NDPR Week on 26 April 2019
- 2nd meeting of the NCDA Board on 26 April 2019
- Conducted meeting with KMIS regarding the production of PWD materials for the mural to be displayed in the DTI main building in relation to the NDPR Week Celebration.
- Prepared concept note on the inclusion of the Most PWD Friendly Establishments as special citation in the Bagwis Awards Program.
- Preparations for the DTI activities for the 41st NDPR Week Celebration in July 2019, as follows:
- Finalized and submitted to NCDA the approved DTI Calendar of Activities which shall form part of the overall Calendar of Activities of the 41st NDPR Week Celebration
- Ongoing coordination with resource speaker for the Seminar on Demystifying Organizational Stress for Higher Performance to be attended by DTI employees
- Ongoing coordination with NCDA regarding the handover ceremony of the DTI ManDIG by Undersecretary Zenaida Maglaya to NCDA Officer-in-Charge Carmen Zubiaga on 15 July 2019
- Ongoing coordination with the DTI regional disability focal persons regarding the submission of hi-resolution photos of PWD entrepreneurs/cooperatives to be featured in the DTI digital wall in July in commemoration of NDPR Week.
- Accomplished and submitted to NCDA the State of the Nation Address (SONA) Survey form with focus on sensitivity orientation of DTI Persons with Disabilities Focal Persons.
- Represented DTI in various inter-agency meetings, as follows:
- Stakeholders Consultation Meeting for the EDSA Greenway Project of the Department of Transportation
- 2nd Quarter Meeting of the Sub-Committee on Training, Employment and Livelihood (SCOTEL)
- 3rd National Working Committee Meeting for the 41st NDPR Week Celebration.
- Continued coordination with Focal Persons of DTI regional and provincial offices regarding the additional requirements of KMIS for the digital wall display for the 41st NDPR Week and prepared brief background on PWD Mural as requested by KMIS.
- Attended the 4th meeting of the NWC for the 41st NDPR Week Celebration on June 20, Thursday, at the NCDA Boardroom, Quezon City.
DTI Manual on Disability Inclusive Governance - Handover Ceremony
15 July 2019, Lobby, DTI Main Building
In a simple ceremony that took place on 15 July 2019, DTI ROG Undersecretary and Permanent PWD Focal Person Zenaida C. Maglaya provided Ms. Myrla P. Sedenio of the National Council for Disability Affairs (NCDA) with a copy of the DTI Manual on Disability Inclusive Governance. Witnesses to the said event were DTI-Resource Generation and Management Service staff led by Ms. Zenaida F. Pre and Ms. Aurora A. dela Rea, with Mr. Randy Calsena of NCDA. The ceremony was held at the DTI Main Lobby wherein the DTI Mural on Disability Inclusive Governance is displayed.
The DTI Mural on Disability Inclusive Governance features persons with disabilities/organizations in the various parts of the country that DTI helped through its programs and services.
Both the handover ceremony and the mural are part of the DTI Calendar of Activities in support of the 41st National Disability Prevention and Rehabilitation Week Celebration this month. The celebration is geared “to strengthen national efforts towards disability prevention and rehabilitation to enable the effective integration of persons with disabilities into the mainstream of society”. The theme for this year--“Lokal na Pamahalaan: Kabalikat sa Pagtupad ng Karapatan ng mga Taong Maykapansanan”-- focuses on regional/local efforts particularly of local government units in increasing awareness about persons with disabilities and promoting their rights.
ACCOMPLISHMENTS IN 2018
- Coordinated with DTI- Regional Operations Group (ROG) and consolidated the PWD 2017 Accomplishment Report for submission to Commission on Audit COA and National Council on Disability Affairs (NCDA);
- Prepared draft Department Order on the designation of Permanent PWD Focal Person in each bureau/office/regional office/attached agency and listed the functions/responsibilities of a PWD Focal Person.
- Represented DTI in the following meetings/activities:
- Accessible Tourism Seminar hosted by the ASEAN-Japan Centre, the Department of Transportation (DOT), and the NCDA at the Manila Diamond Hotel on 01 March
- National Working Committee on Women with Disabilities Day Celebration at the Department of Environment and Natural Resources-Biodiversity Management Bureau (DENR-BMB) office and updated the members on the topic for the Entrepreneurship and Employment Conference for Women with Disabilities slated for March 26
- 2nd National Disability Prevention and Rehabilitation (NDPR) Working Committee meeting to discuss preparatory activities in July 2018 and suggested inclusion of a booth for consumer advocacy services as one of the free services to be offered to PWD guests at the SMX MOA on the last day of the celebration
- Sub-Committee on Training, Employment, and Livelihood (SCOTEL) at the NCDA Boardroom in 07March.
- Continued updating of the DTI PWD Economic Empowerment Framework based on the 2017 accomplishments of DTI bureaus and regional offices, latest PWD laws and related policies.
- Represented the DTI in the 4th and 5th meetings of the National Working Committee-40th National Disability and Rehabilitation (NDPR) Week Celebration. Prepared memo request inviting Consumer Protection and Advocacy Bureau (CPAB) and National Capital Region Office (NCRO) to send representatives to handle possible DTI booths on Negosyo Center and Consumer Advocacy Services during the culmination of the celebration on 23 July.
- Prepared DTI report on the updating of the Philippine Compliance Report to the United Nations Convention on the Rights of PWDs (UNCRPD).
- Prepared DTI inputs to the Philippine Compliance Report to be used for the State’s Constructive Dialogue with the UNCRPD and the UN 11th Session of the Conference of State Parties to the COS-CRPD.
- Attended the NCDA Sub-Committee on Training, Employment and Livelihood (SCOTEL). Highlights of the meeting included revision of Board Resolution requesting Department of Health (DOH) to provide guidelines allowing use of PWD IDs to avail tax holiday by private firms thus encouraging them to employ PWDs; revision of Board Resolution requesting Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) to establish Disability Desk during Jobs Fair and to identify various types of services that can be accessed by PWDs; instruction to Secretariat to request TESDA to conduct write shop in relation to the Development of Plans and Guidelines in the Conduct of Abilympics.
- Provided updates on DTI interventions on PWD economic empowerment as inputs to DOT’s communication plan for barrier-free tourism in the Philippines.
- Organized DTI’s celebration of the 40th National Disability Prevention and Rehabilitation (NDPR) Week during the DTI Flag Raising Ceremony on 16 July 2018.
- Organized DTI activities for the NDPR’s free services by government offices for PWDs at SM MOA on 23 July 2018, as follows:
- Consumer advocacy services by CPAB;
- Business advisory, information, and advocacy services by the DTI-NCRO;
- Seminar on entrepreneurship development by Bureau of Small and Medium Enterprise Development (BSMED); and
- Intellectual property rights (IPR)-related services by the Intellectual Property Office of the Philippines (IPOPHL).
- Conducted Sensitivity Workshop cum Planning Session for DTI PWD Focal Persons from DTI Head Office and Regional and Provincial Offices on 01-03 August 2018.
- Conducted meeting with the National Council on Disability Affairs (NCDA) on the preparation of the DTI-PWD Operational Manual, which will outline the programs and services that DTI can provide to PWDs and how they can avail of them.
- Coordinated meetings with Resource Generation and Management Service (RGMS), HRAS, BSMED, and Assistant Secretary Fajardo to discuss activities towards making DTI programs and services disability inclusive.
- Organized meeting between Department of Information and Communication Technology (DICT), DTI- Knowledge Management and Information Service (KMIS), and DTI- Information Systems Management Service (ISMS) regarding the audit of the DTI website's compliance with DICT Memorandum Circular No. 2017-004 "Prescribing the Philippine Web Accessibility Policy and Adopting for this purpose ISO/IEC 40500:2012 Information Technology-- W3C Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) 2.0 as the Philippine Standard for Making Web Content More Accessible to a Wider Range of People with Disabilities".
- Accomplished and endorsed to the office of ROG Undersecretary Maglaya the United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific UNESCAP Survey for the project entitled "Towards the Incheon Strategy to ensure the rights of PWDs in Asia and the Pacific", which will be discussed in a workshop in Bangkok on 25-26 Oct 2018.
- Coordinated with HRAS regarding the provision of free hearing aids by Starkey Philippines in coordination with NCDA.
- Coordinated the conduct of the Seminar on Entrepreneurship and Best Game for this year's celebration of Deaf Awareness Week on 15 Nov 2018.
- Conducted a writeshop, participated by PWD Focal Persons from DTI bureaus/offices and regional/provincial offices, for the crafting of the DTI Manual on Disability Inclusive Governance.
- Provided secretariat support during the 2018 International Day of Persons with Disabilities Celebration on 03 December at La Breza Hotel, Quezon City.
2018 INTERNATIONAL DAY OF PERSONS WITH DISABILITIES CELEBRATION
The International Day of Persons with Disabilities is celebrated every 3rd of December across the globe. This year’s theme is “Empowering persons with Disabilities and ensuring inclusiveness and equality” which is aligned with the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development “where no one is left behind.”
In support of the international theme, the Philippines has adopted as sub-theme “Trabaho, Negosyo at Kabuhayan Para Taong Maykapansanan” (Job, Enterprise and Livelihood for Persons with Disabilities).
In December 3, the Department of Trade and Industry, together with the New Vois Association of the Philippines, Inc. led the observance of the International Day of Persons with Disabilities with the able support from the National Council on Disability Affairs (NCDA) and more than 100 guests from PWD organizations, various Persons with Disability Affairs Offices (PDAOs), and other government agencies at the La Breza Ballroom, La Breza Hotel, Mother Ignacia, Quezon City.
Brother and sister team of Mr. Einstein and Ms Aika Rojas, representing New Vois Association of the Phils. Inc, acted as Masters of Ceremony.
Ms. Carmen R. Zubiaga, Officer in Charge of NCDA, welcomed everyone to the event. She thanked DTI for leading the celebration of the said event, and informed the audience that DTI has done a lot in terms of inclusion of PWDs in economic activities. DTI’s Negosyo Center Business Counselors were trained to assist PWDs which is very reassuring for any PWD client who would like to avail of their services/programs. Further, DTI is the first agency to come up with the Disability Inclusive Governance Manual which ensures full participation and equalization of rights and opportunities for PWDs. She also urged PWDs to form and grow self-help groups to be economically independent. Other agencies like TESDA and DOLE provide assistance through job fairs for PWDs such as the one to be held this week in Quezon City wherein 1,000 jobs are in the offing.
NCDA officer-in-charge, Ms. Carmen Zubiaga delivering the welcome remarks for the event.
DTI Assistant Secretary Ameenah A. Fajardo delivered the inspirational message during the event. She underscored the capability, resilience and the potential contribution of Persons with Disabilities to the economy. She also shared that DTI continues to advocate the creation of an enabling environment that provides opportunities for the entrepreneurial development of PWDs to have productive and better lives and become mentors to others.
|DTI Assistant Secretary Ameenah A. Fajardo delivering the inspirational message for the event|
She mentioned the programs and services that DTI offers like 7 Ms – mindset change, mastery, mentoring, money, machine, market access, and models of negosyo.
Right after, the entrepreneurship seminar was handled by Ms. Elizabeth Manuel, former Acting Deputy Director of the Philippine Trade Training Center and President of the Rotary Club of Meycauayan Uptown. She introduced and involved everyone to the “Best Game cum Entrepreneurship Challenge” for them to experience what it is like to be involved in a business - whether as a producer or retailer.
|Assistant Secretary Ameenah Fajardo and Mr. Sean Ignacio manning the product clinic booth|
Meanwhile, DTI put up the Negosyo Center booth manned by DTI-NCRO Misses Dahlia Nuñez and Nerissa Sulib, and Mr. Sean Ignacio of the Office of Assistant Secretary Demphna Du-Naga handled product clinic booth.
ACCOMPLISHMENTS IN 2017
- Drafted a working paper on PWD status, laws and regulations passed in support of PWD development, DTI accomplishments and challenges and recommendations to improve responsiveness of the programs to the needs of PWDs which can serve as basis for a PWD Summit or Convention that will result to a Pledge of Commitment among DTI and cooperating partner agency and/or private sector.
- Coordinated with the DTI-Knowledge Management and Information Service (KMIS) on the status of making the DTI website accessible to PWDs, and accomplished the National Council on Disability Affairs (NCDA) template to reflect the update which formed part of the submission to the Office of DTI PWD Focal Person Regional Operations Group (ROG) Undersecretary Maglaya and her alternate, ROG Assistant Secretary Fajardo
- Represented the DTI on 13 February 2017 at the NCDA Boardroom during the 2nd National Working Committee Meeting on the preparations for the 2017 Women with Disabilities Day Celebration scheduled on 28 March at the Philippine Arena.
- Represented the DTI in the 1st National Working Committee Meeting that approved the final theme of the National Disability Prevention and Rehabilitation (NDPR) Week Celebration which was held in July 2017. Also identified the 2017 chair/host and lined up all succeeding meeting dates and venues. Lastly, prepared highlights particularly the NCDA comments regarding immediate or full implementation of certain laws like RA No. 10905 which calls for all television networks to have closed captioning to enable the PWDs particularly the deaf to have access to news and other information that will improve their welfare.
- Coordinated with NCDA on the list of some national agencies’ PWD focal persons as well as the heads of national PWD organizations in relation to the drafting of invitation letters on the Department’s hosting of the Consultative Meeting of DTI Officials with other National Government Agencies and PWD Organizations held on 03 August 2017.
- Represented the DTI in the NDPR-National Working Committee Meetings on the preparations for the NDPR Week Celebration; prepared highlights of the meeting including the request of NCDA for DTI to provide assistance to PWD entrepreneurs (who will participate in the PWD Bazaar at QC Hall) in product labeling and packaging; and requested for the inclusion in the Calendar of Activities of NDPR Week Celebration the General Assembly of DTI PWD Focal Persons as a pre-event activity.
- Undertook research on the access to transportation by PWDs and prepared comments/inputs to the draft Executive Order on Accessible Public Transportation for PWDs for endorsement by the DTI Alternate PWD Focal Person to the Bureau of Trade and Industrial Policy Research for official communication to the Office of the President
- Prepared memo seeking approval of the DTI PWD Focal Person to have small window for PWDs in the Livelihood Seeding and the Shared Service Facility Programs of the Department as these can provide concrete assistance to the sector in terms of livelihood opportunities
- Hosted the start of the 39th NDPR Week Celebration on 17 July 2017 by reciting the Panata ng Isang Tagapagtaguyod ng Karapatan at Prebelihiyo ng May Kapansanan at the flag raising ceremony at the DTI Head Office attended by some of the ExCom members.
- Updated the DTI PWD Economic Empowerment (PWDEE) Framework and added global and national statistics on PWDs to provide factual information about the sector; this document was presented during the General Assembly of information of the PWD Focal Persons.
- Conducted the General Assembly for DTI PWD Focal Persons on 13 July 2017. A total of fifty-two (52) PWD Focal persons from DTI Bureaus, Regional and Provincial, and attached agencies participated.
- Coordinated with the Office of the DTI Alternate PWD Focal Person Assistant Secretary Ameenah A. Fajardo to enjoin the Human Resource and Administrative Service (HRAS) to send a representative to the CBM International’s South East Asia Regional Office’s Employers’ Forum 19 October 2017 at the Sequoia Hotel, Quezon City. This is in relation to the employment of Persons with Disability, since the said unit handles the hiring of personnel within the Department. Also attended the forum and submitted memo and highlights of event to Asst. Secretary Ameenah A. Fajardo.
- Attended the Knowledge Sharing Forum on Disability Development Programs conducted jointly by the Korean International Cooperation Agency-Philippine Office, and the Philippine–Korean Fellows Association and the NCDA on 27 October 2017, at the Discovery Suites Manila, ADB Avenue, Ortigas Center, Pasig City; and prepared the highlights of event.
- Represented the DTI in the Joint Seminar on Mid-Decade Review of the Asia and the Pacific’s Decade of Make the Right Real which was conducted by NCDA and the Rehabilitation International (RI) Korea on 03 November 2017 at the NCDA Boardroom, Holy Spirit Drive, Quezon City.
- Represented the DTI in the 1st National Working Committee Meeting in preparation for the 2017 International Day of Persons with Disabilities Celebration in the 1st week of December.
- Coordinated with the Consumer Protection and Advocacy Bureau (CPAB) and KMIS regarding appropriate advice and opinion on the possibility of having braille labels on some goods/products for visually impaired customers and how it may relate to RA 7394 or the Consumer Act.
- Represented the DTI PWD Focal Person, Undersecretary Zenaida C. Maglaya, in the NCDA Board meeting on 12 December at 10 am, at the Alcuaz Function Room, Manila Pavilion, Manila. Raised concerns on the RA 10524 (1% of government positions reserved for PWDs), and the portion of EO 417 on 10% procurement to be sourced from PWD suppliers, both of which the Chair had asked the Board Secretariat to include in the next meeting of the Board; Finally prepared the highlights and the endorsement memo on 13-14 December.
ACCOMPLISHMENTS IN 2016:
- Collated and submitted the 2015 DTI PWD accomplishments to COA and NCDA
- Prepared and submitted the 2016 DTI Plans and Programs to NCDA for endorsement to the Sub-Committee on Training, Employment, and Livelihood.
- Prepared comments/inputs on:
- Draft IRR of RA 10754 or “An Act Expanding the Benefits and Privileges of Persons with Disability”
- Senate House Bill No. 205 entitled “An Act Providing for the Alternative Learning System of Education for Adults, Out of School Youth, Members of Cultural Minorities, Indigenous People, and Persons with Disabilities”.
- Participated in the various inter-agency PWD-related activities/workshops/fora, as follows:
- Women with Disability Day Celebration at the Occupational Health and Safety Center held last 30 March 2016
- 38th National Disaster Prevention and Rehabilitation (NDPR) Week Celebration held from 17-23 July 2016
- Program Assessment and Planning Workshop on Disability Inclusive Programs/Services for PWDs held last 16 – 18 March 2016 in Angeles City, Pampanga
- Enhancement of Communication Plan following the Incheon Strategy Framework for Persons with Disabilities
- Special Inter-Agency Meeting on Implementing Rules and Regulations of Republic Act No. 10754 or “An Act Expanding the Benefits and Privileges of Persons with Disability”
- Launching of Apolinario Mabini Awards at the Bulwagang Amoranto, Quezon City Hall
- Inter-Agency Committee preparatory meeting for the 27th White Cane Safety Day Celebration
- Public Hearings on the Draft Joint DTI-DA-DOE Administrative Order for Senior Citizens and Persons with Disability
- Mid-Term Assessment on Incheon Strategy Implementation and the Status of the National Plan of Action on Effective Data Generation
- NCDA Sub-Committee on Advocacy
- Conducted Orientation Workshop on Disability Sensitivity for Negosyo Center Business Counselors
- Batch 1 – DTI and LGU representatives from Northern Luzon in Clark, Pampanga on 19-21 July 2016
- Batch 2 – DTI and LGU representatives from NCR and Southern Luzon in Pasay City on 09-11 August 2016
- Batch 3 – DTI and LGU representatives from Mindanao in Davao City on 16-18 August 2016
- Batch 4 – DTI and LGU representatives from Visayas in Pasay City on 06-07 September 2016
- Conducted Orientation on Disability Sensitivity for PWD Focal Persons in DTI bureaus and regional and provincial offices
- Continuing advocacy for the welfare of PWDs:
- Implementation of various laws to ensure the protection of PWDs’ civil and political rights based on DTI’s mandate i.e. Republic Act No. 10524 “An Act Expanding the Positions Reserved for PWDs”, Batas Pambansa Blg. 344 “Accessibility Law”, Executive Order No. 417 “Directing the Implementation of the Economic Independence Program for PWDs”
- PWD accessibility of the DTI website
- Inclusion of “provision/granting of special discounts to PWDs” in the guidelines on the DTI Bagwis Program