The Integrated Natural Resources and Environmental Management - Livelihood Enhancement Support is a three-year project funded by the Asian Development Bank (ADB), in partnership with the Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR) that seeks to provide strategic enabling conditions that will sustainably increase the sales from commodities produced by upland farmers, smallholders and micro enterprises in the covered areas through the introduction of value adding, entrepreneurial skill and market linkages. Its three components include: Institutional Strengthening, Establishment and Operations of Shared Service Facilities and Enterprise Strengthening.
ACCOMPLISHMENTS IN 2019
INREMP-LES 2 Conducts Progress and Learning Forum in Bohol
The National Implementation Unit of the INREMP-LES 2 and RGMS conducted the project progress and learning forum last July 10 to 12, 2019 at Tagbilaran City, Bohol. The physical and financial accomplishments of CAR, Regions 7 and 10 from October 2018 (start of project operation) to June 30, 2019 were presented by the respective regional project coordinators. The LES 2 project implementers were also capacitated on project cycle management and success factors using GIZ’s Capacity Works, a model that aids users to successfully manage development cooperation projects. The importance of market-driven approach in the identification of livelihood interventions was highlighted through the learning visits at the Loom Weavers Multi-Purpose Cooperative for the raffia cluster, and Matin-ao Vegetable Growers Organization for the peanut cluster.
- Organized the Leveling off and Planning activity for Livelihood Enhancement Support (LES) 2 sub-component projects; and the Seminar/Workshop on Social and Environmental Safeguards for Regions 7 and 10.
- Coordinated with the National Commission on Indigenous People (NCIP) regarding DTI’s concerns on inclusion of LES 2 in the application for Certificate of Precondition submitted by DENR.
- Conducted INREMP National Implementation Unit (NLIU) meeting for ways forward and planning of 2019 activities.
- Participated in the DENR Foreign-Assisted and Special Projects Service Levelling-off Workshop with the Commission on Audit on the Implementation of INREMP held at the Timberland Sports and Nature Club, San Mateo, Rizal on 7 February 2019.
- Attended DENR-FMB project meeting at San Mateo Rizal, particularly on administrative and financial management aspect of the project.
- Conducted coordinative meeting with Mr. Wadell Cabrera, NLIU Director Emma Asusano and RGMS on the design of the INREMP LES 2 Orientation and Validation Workshop.
- Organized the INREMP LES 2 Orientation cum Validation Workshop on March 26-30, 2019.
- Ongoing processing and evaluation of revised Business Plans submitted by the following regions:
- CAR – 22 Business Plan proposals
- Region 7 – 7 Business Plan proposals
- Region 10 – 17 Business Plan proposals
- Evaluated the business plans and submitted to NLIU the report on completeness of submission of all business plans and the summary of business plans as requested by Asian Development Bank.
- Assisted NLIU in revision, finalization and submission of consolidated 2019 and 2020 work and financial plan and in preparation for the DTI INREMP Meeting on Capacity Building, Monitoring and Evaluation scheduled for 5-7 June 2019 at Panglao, Bohol.
- Conducted meeting with DENR, Center for Environment and Social Management (CESM), and INREMP NLIU on the business plans.
- Prepared updated summary of sub-project proposals for the social and environmental safeguards evaluation.
- Represented RGMS in the LES 2 meeting on Financial Matters at the INREMP NLIU office.
- Submitted revised 2019 Work and Financial Plan and Detailed Costing per bject Class to DENR.
- Prepared technical, logistical, and documentary requirements for the conduct of the LES 2 Project Progress and Learning Forum scheduled on 9-13 July.
- Prepared and disseminated RGMS' monitoring report for the INREMP LES 2 Physical and Financial Accomplishments of LES2 Implementation Units (RLIUs) from October 2018 to May 2019.
- Provided technical support to the workshop conducted on 10-12 July 2019 in Tagbilaran City, Bohol including the preparation of post activity report.
- Provided technical support to the National LES2 Implementation Unit (NLIU) in the preparation of reports on Social and Environmental Safeguards (SES) and technical reports to National Project Coordinating Office (NPCO) and Asian Development Bank (ADB).
- Provided technical support to the conduct of Project Progress and Learning Forum. Also facilitated transfer of funds to Region 7, assisted in the conduct of the forum, and drafted the revised Components and Indicators as part of rationalization of AWPB and accomplishment reporting of regional offices.
- Drafted the process flow on statement of expenditures and accomplishment reporting system.
- Held consultative discussion with ADB on their comments to proposed sub project proposals before the issuance of No Objection Letter:
- Agreed that those with request from ADB amounting to Php 500k or less will be issued with NOL
- Social and Environmental Safeguards for all sub project proposal will be checked by ADB post activity
- Sub project proposal with request amounting to more than Php 500k will have to provide additional data on financial viability by product produced and up to 10 years.
- Facilitated review by ADB of the financial and other requirements for proposed subprojects submitted by CAR, Region 7 and Region 10.
ACCOMPLISHMENTS IN 2018
- Reviewed the scoping reports submitted by consultants on Cordillera Administrative Region and Bukidnon and Misamis Oriental.
- Coordinated with Asian Development Bank (ADB) and Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR) in providing inputs on INREMP restructuring program, focusing solely on the requirements for the Livelihood Enhancement Support subcomponent; and supplying the feasibility studies used for the RAPID growth project design.
- Participated in small workshop on INREMP restructuring with focus on Livelihood Enhancement Support LES subcomponent
- Drafted and submitted revised Indicative Work and Financial Plan to INREMP Project Management Office (PMO)
- Conducted coordinative meeting with INREMP National Project Coordinating Office (NPCO) on financial and administrative processes
- Conducted DTI-DENR Planning Workshop
Conducted Orientation and Leveling-off Workshop on Social and Environmental Safeguards, Financial Management and Procurement on 5-7 June 2018. Participants from DTI and DENR Regional and National Offices discussed the Social and Environmental Safeguard requirements of the INREMP-LES 2 and the financial arrangement and procurement guidelines for the project. Next steps were identified to jumpstart the implementation of the INREMP-LES 2 component.
- Conducted meeting with DENR on the financial arrangements for the INREMP-LES 2 on 18 June 2018. The requirements to facilitate the release of funds for the INREMP-LES 2 were discussed by DTI and DENR. It was agreed that DENR will download initial funds amounting to PHP10,000 for the opening of Land Bank account for the INREMP-LES 2 funds.
- Preparation of the INREMP-LES 2 Implementation Structure.
- Consolidation of INREMP-LES 2 Work and Financial Plans (WFP). The 2018 Regional and National WFPs were consolidated into one detailed INREMP-LES 2 WFP for 2018. This together with the indicative WFPs for 2019 and 2020 were submitted to DENR to facilitate fund transfer.
- Participated in the planning workshop for LES 2 components in the following regions:
- Region X: Misamis Oriental and Bukidnon
- Region VII: Bohol
- CAR: Benguet, Mt Province, Ifugao, Kalinga and Apayao
- Finalized and sent out the INREMP Regional Investment Plan format to CAR, Region 7, and Region 10.
- Conducted briefing session with Undersecretary Maglaya and Director Emma Asusano, as incoming project director, on status and next steps of INREMP LES 2 Subcomponent to be implemented by DTI in regions X, VII and CAR.
- Coordinated conduct of ADB Review Mission in Mountain Province, representing the Chico Upper River Basin.
- Consolidated submission of revised 2019 Work and Financial Plans for the following regions: Region VII for Bohol, CAR for Benguet, Mt Province, Ifugao, Kalinga and Apayao.
- Arranged meeting between ADB team and ROG on the drafting of Country Strategy and the development of concept note on rural enterprise development project.
- Conducted meeting with INREMP NPCO, DENR-Foreign-Assisted and Special Projects Service (FASPO), and DENR-Forest Management Service (FMS) on financial reporting processes, status of submissions and replenishment of fund, and important details of the Work and Financial Plan.
ACCOMPLISHMENTS IN 2017
- Meeting with Asian Development Bank (ADB) on the possibility of DTI assisting the Department of Environment and Natural Resources- Forest Management Bureau (DENR-FMB) in implementing the INREMP Livelihood Component. DTI is open to the idea of cooperating with project implementer, DENR, and partner institutions—Asian Development Bank (ADB), International Fund for Agriculture Development (IFAD) and Global Environment Facility (GEF). ADB committed to discuss the possibility of cooperation and requested the project implementation office to provide data of the communities covered by the project under livelihood component.
- Represented DTI in INREMP Steering Committee Meeting and affirmed that DTI is ready to partner with DTI to implement its Livelihood Component subject to the request of Undersecretary Zenaida C. Maglaya to align priority sectors, and to be provided with the necessary data on the status of the component, and the resources necessary to implement the project.
- Conducted a levelling-off workshop with DENR and DTI on the INREMP Livelihood component. The activity resulted in the: DTI’s understanding of INREMP project, scope, coverage, objectives and deliverables; Identification of common livelihood activities, including priority sectors and commodities by each province/region; alignment of Performance Governance Scorecard indicators relevant to the project; tentative work plans by province/region.
- Drafted indicative strategies and key activities based on the discussions and outputs of the Levelling-off workshop conducted in April with DENR, DTI regional representatives and RGMS.
- Collated indicative budget and activities from the following regional/provincial offices:
- Mountain Province
- Region VII
- Region X
- Misamis Oriental
- Lanao del Sur
- Submitted the 2017-2020 Indicative Work and Financial Plan (WFP) and the 2017 detailed WFP to the INREMP Project Coordinating Office.
- Finalized DTI revision of draft Memorandum of Agreement and submitted to DENR-FMB. RGMS, in a meeting with the INREMP PCO, emphasized that DTI cannot participate in the INREMP as implementer of its livelihood component until the MoA is signed by both parties. The MOA will be the terms of reference for the resources to be downloaded to DTI from INREMP, and the basis of deliverables by DTI for the project. DENR through its FAPSO representative in the meeting however mentioned that no downloading of resources can be implemented until project documents, loan agreement with ADB and IFAD and its project implementation manual are revised. RGMS stated that the MoA will not be signed by DTI until DENR resolve its issues on loan agreement and Project Implementation Manual are resolved with NEDA, ADB and IFAD.
- Came aboard the ADB-IFAD Mission to Region X and Lanao del Sur to conduct discussion with the regional management regarding the scope of the project and the livelihood requirement of the communities covered. The Mission also organized consultations with DTI Lanao del Norte and Lanao del Sur on the project coverage in Lake Lanao watershed area. The feedback from the mission indicated that the livelihood program needs by the communities may be addressed by DTI through its Negosyo Center and its enterprise development program.
- Attended a meeting with INREMP National Project Coordination Office (NPCO), ADB and IFAD to confirm that there is no need to amend the loan agreement documents for DENR and DTI to come up with a MoA that would secure DTI’s engagement in the project within the LES subcomponent.
- Facilitated the MoA signing at ADB headquarters at Ortigas Center. The project will provide resources for DTI to implement the livelihood subcomponent in the project areas.
- Assisted ADB in drafting the terms of reference for the consultants to conduct the scoping missions to Bohol, Cordillera Administrative Region and Northern Mindanao.